Man accused of Paris attacks handed terror-linked charges

6 December 2023, 21:24

France Attack
France Attack. Picture: PA

Armand Rajabpour-Miyandoab, 26, is accused of killing a German-Filipino tourist at a bridge near the Eiffel Tower on Saturday.

A man accused of fatally stabbing a tourist and injuring two other people at the weekend near the Eiffel Tower was placed under investigation on Wednesday on charges of murder and attempted murder in connection with a terrorist organisation, the prosecutor’s office said.

An investigating magistrate handed Armand Rajabpour-Miyandoab the preliminary charges at the request of anti-terrorism prosecutors.

The judge ordered him placed in isolation.

Under French law, preliminary charges precede any indictment, which comes after an investigation and would send the suspect to trial. Charges also can be dropped.

Rajabpour-Miyandoab, 26, is accused of killing a German-Filipino tourist at a bridge near the Eiffel Tower on Saturday.

He was under surveillance for suspected Islamic radicalisation at the time, and had been convicted and served prison time for a planned attack that never took place.

The stabbing has drawn special concern from French authorities less than a year before the 2024 Paris Olympics, whose opening ceremony is planned along the Seine river.

It has also raised questions about how people convicted of terrorism-linked crimes can move about freely after serving their sentences.

Rajabpour-Miyandoab told police he was concerned about the situation of Muslims, notably in Afghanistan and the Middle East amid the war between Israel and Hamas.

He recorded a video before the attack in which he swore allegiance to the so-called Islamic State group and expressed support for Islamic extremists in various areas including Africa, Iraq, Syria, Egypt’s Sinai, Yemen, Iran and Pakistan, anti-terrorism prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard said.

He was under psychiatric treatment and was on a special list of feared radicals, the prosecutor said.

The investigating judge handed the suspect, born in France of Iranian origin, the preliminary charges that noted he was allegedly in a “legal state of relapse”, meaning he could repeat offences, the statement said.

The judge also handed down a charge of of association with terrorist criminals for the preparation of one or more crimes targeting people.

Rajabpour-Miyandoab was born in 1997 in Neuilly-Sur-Seine, outside Paris, to a family with no religious affiliation.

He converted to Islam at the age of 18 and quickly adhered to Islamic extremist ideology, Mr Ricard told a news conference on Sunday.

In 2016, he was convicted and imprisoned for four years until 2020 on a charge of planning violence.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and French President Emmanuel Macron

Germany and Poland rule out troops for Ukraine as Kremlin warns of wider war

Poland farmers' protest

Thousands of farmers protest in Warsaw over EU’s environmental policies

Oleg Orlov

Moscow court jails human rights activist for 30 months for Ukraine war criticism

Pakistan Politics

Ex-Pakistan PM Imran Khan and wife plead not guilty in corruption case

Germany Red Army Faction

German left-wing militant arrested after more than 30 years on the run

Arsenal wished Olsson, who has won 47 caps for his country, a "full and speedy recovery" on social media.

Ex-Arsenal midfielder, 28, rushed to hospital with 'acute brain disease' after collapsing at home

Israel Palestinians

Israel ready to halt war during Ramadan if hostage deal reached, says Biden

Jens Stoltenberg

Nato chief says alliance has no plans to send troops to Ukraine

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift’s father accused of punching photographer in the face in Sydney

Taylor Swift's father Scott Swift, 71, has been accused of assaulting a photographer

Taylor Swift's father Scott accused of ‘punching’ photographer ‘in the chops’

Australia Double Fatality

Police asked not to march at Sydney Mardi Gras parade after alleged murders

Couple Luke Davies and Jesse Baird had not been seen since Monday last week

Body of TV presenter Jesse Baird and boyfriend found ‘hidden under rocks’ in rural town 100 miles from Sydney

Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Sean Combs

Music producer accuses Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs of sexual misconduct

Emmanuel Macron

Putting Western troops on the ground in Ukraine not ‘ruled out’, says Macron

Israel Palestinians

Biden ‘hopes Hamas ceasefire and hostage deal can take effect by next Monday’

Secretary of State for the Home Department James Cleverly

West must 'help people thrive in their own countries' to tackle migrant crisis, James Cleverly says