US says extremist West Bank settlers will be barred from America

5 December 2023, 18:04

COP28 Climate Summit
COP28 Climate Summit. Picture: PA

Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced the step.

In a rare punitive move against Israel, the US State Department said it will impose travel bans on extremist Jewish settlers implicated in a rash of recent attacks on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced the step after warning Israel last week that President Joe Biden’s administration would be taking action over the attacks.

Mr Blinken did not announce individual visa bans, but officials said those would be coming this week and could affect dozens of settlers and their families.

“We have underscored to the Israeli government the need to do more to hold accountable extremist settlers who have committed violent attacks against Palestinians in the West Bank,” Mr Blinken said in a statement.

“As President Biden has repeatedly said, those attacks are unacceptable.”

“Today, the State Department is implementing a new visa restriction policy targeting individuals believed to have been involved in undermining peace, security or stability in the West Bank, including through committing acts of violence or taking other actions that unduly restrict civilians’ access to essential services and basic necessities,” Mr Blinken said.

He said the US would continue to seek accountability for settler violence against Palestinians as well as Palestinian attacks against Israelis in the West Bank and Israel, particularly as tensions are extremely high due to the conflict in Gaza.

“Both Israel and the Palestinian Authority have the responsibility to uphold stability in the West Bank,” Mr Blinken said.

“Instability in the West Bank both harms the Israeli and Palestinian people and threatens Israel’s national security interests.”

Tuesday’s move comes just a month after Israel was granted entry into the US Visa Waiver Programme, which allows its citizens visa-free entry into the US.

Those targeted will not be eligible for the programme, and those who hold current US visas will have them revoked.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Russia Ukraine War

31,000 Ukrainian troops killed since start of full-scale invasion – Zelensky

Belarus Election

Belarusians vote in tightly controlled election amid calls for boycott

Russia Ukraine War

Ukraine’s defence minister says supply delays are costing lives

Donald Trump

Nikki Haley vows to fight on after Donald Trump wins in her home state

Biden Governors

Calls to ‘disagree better’ as US state governors meet at White House

Israel Palestinians

Mediators seeking Israel-Hamas ceasefire and release of hostages

Portugal Election

Populists hope to make impact in Portuguese election

Election 2024 Trump

Donald Trump easily beats Nikki Haley in her home state of South Carolina

An aircraft launching from USS Dwight D Eisenhower during flight operations in the Red Sea

US and UK strike Houthi sites in Yemen amid surge in Red Sea attacks on ships

Residents voting in the South Carolina Republican primary

Trump enters South Carolina primary looking to embarrass Haley in her home state

Britain and US strike more than a dozen targets in Yemen in response to ongoing attacks on shipping in Red Sea

Britain and US strike more than a dozen Houthi targets in Yemen following Red Sea shipping attacks

World leaders laid flowers in tribute to killed soldiers as they joined Volodymyr Zelensky in Ukraine

Western leaders rally around Kyiv as Ukraine marks invasion anniversary

A picture of Alexei Navalny next to flowers in front of the Russian embassy in Berlin

Body of Russian opposition leader Navalny handed over to his mother, aide says

Destroyed residential buildings in Rafah

Israeli officials to meet over proposed pause in Gaza fighting

Competitors battle in a muddy pool at the Florida Man Games

Tank-topped teams compete in spoof sporting event in Florida

Children are seen in a building destroyed in an Israeli air strike in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah, February 22

'Progress' made in Gaza ceasefire talks after Hamas 'drop some of its demands' that could see Israeli hostages released