Hong Kong: Fresh protests break out after face mask ban

4 October 2019, 19:02

Protesters set cardboard boxes on fire at the entrance to the Causeway Bay Subway station in Hong Kong
Protesters set cardboard boxes on fire at the entrance to the Causeway Bay Subway station in Hong Kong. Picture: PA

By Sylvia DeLuca

Violence has broken out again in Hong Kong hours after it was announced that protesters will be banned from wearing face masks.

Thousands of protesters have crammed into streets to challenge the ban, shouting "Hong Kong people, resist".

Earlier today Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam invoked rarely used emergency powers to ban face masks at rallies.

Reports on Friday said a 14-year-old boy had been shot in the leg.

He is reportedly being treated at Tuen Mun hospital and is in a serious condition.

It is believed that he was shot in the left thigh and has been transferred from Pok Oi Hospital to Tuen Mun Hospital.

It is unclear whether the teenager was shot with a live round or a rubber bullet, and whether it was fired by the police or someone else.

Protesters burn a China 70th anniversary celebration banner in Hong Kong
Protesters burn a China 70th anniversary celebration banner in Hong Kong. Picture: PA

The incident and the ban come after an escalation of violence during protests on 1 October, when an officer shot an 18-year-old student has been shot in the chest.

Introducing the face mask ban, Ms Lam introduced said Hong Kong faced "extensive and very serious danger" but stressed it was not under a state of emergency.

She said she would go to the legislature later to get legal backing for the rule.

"People are asking can Hong Kong go back to normal? Is Hong Kong still a place where we can have our sweet home?" she said as she announced the ban.

"We must stop the violence. Now, it's all over Hong Kong."

Anyone breaking the mask ban could be jailed for a year or fined.

Thousands of masked protesters marched in the city's business district before Carrie Lam spoke. They chanted "I want to wear face masks" and "Wearing a mask is not a crime".

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'

Putin continues to reject Trump's peace plan

'We won't accept Ukraine ceasefire while Zelenskyy remains in power,' Russia warns

Virginia Giuffre

Family of Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre hit out at Australian cops over doubts she has 'days to live'

Luigi Mangione is facing the death penalty for the shooting of United healthcare CEO Brian Thompson

US prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Luigi Mangione in healthcare boss murder case

Emergency services at the scene after an explosion at a building thought to be a gas leak, in Via Pio Foà and Via Vitellia, in Rome, Sunday, March 23, 2025.

Scottish tourist dies after sustaining severe burns in Rome gas explosion that destroyed three-storey hotel

Five Israelis have been cleared after the court ruled the British woman's testimony was not credible

Five tourists accused of gang raping British woman in Ayia Napa hotel cleared after charges dropped

An areal view of the volcanic eruption near the town of Grindavik, on the Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland

Volcanic eruption forces evacuations in Iceland

Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking victim who claimed Prince Andrew sexually abused her given 'four days to live' by doctors

Jeffrey Epstein victim and Prince Andrew accuser issues fresh statement after being given 'four days to live'

President of the far-right Rassemblement National (RN) parliamentary group Marine Le Pen

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen vows to fight election ban after embezzlement conviction

President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth

White House says 'Signal chat case is closed' insisting issue has been 'dealt with'