Deontay Wilder blames historic defeat against Tyson Fury on 'heavy costume'

25 February 2020, 17:13

Deontay Wilder enters the ring for his WBC heavyweight title bout against Tyson Fury
Deontay Wilder enters the ring for his WBC heavyweight title bout against Tyson Fury. Picture: PA

By Matt Drake

Deontay Wilder has blamed his historic defeat against Tyson Fury on the "heavy" costume he wore before entering the ring.

The US boxer says he wants another rematch against the Gypsy King after blaming the loss of his heavyweight title on his elaborate ring walk costume.

Wilder told Yahoo Sports that his British opponent didn't hurt him as he came to his seventh-round defeat on Saturday night but that the 45-pound costume gave him "no legs".

He said: "He didn't hurt me at all, but the simple fact is my uniform was way too heavy for me.

"I didn't have no legs from the beginning of the fight. In the third round, my legs were just shot all the way through."

He also said he was angry at his corner throwing in the towel.

Wilder was taken to the hospital after the fight but he claims he did not sustain a concussion, broken eardrum or broken jaw as had been speculated.

He hit out at his assistant trainer Mark Breland for stopping the fight.

Tyson Fury knocks down Deontay Wilder in the fifth round
Tyson Fury knocks down Deontay Wilder in the fifth round. Picture: Getty

He said: "I am upset with Mark for the simple fact that we've talked about this many times and it's not emotional.

"It is not an emotional thing, it's a principle thing. We've talked about this situation many, many years before this even happened.

"I said as a warrior, as a champion, as a leader, as a ruler, I want to go out on my shield.

"So I told my team to never, ever, no matter what it may look like, to never throw the towel in with me because I'm a special kind. I still had five rounds left. No matter what it looked like, I was still in the fight."

Wilder told The Athletic that he will exercise his rematch clause to try and regain his WBC heavyweight belt from Fury.

This means any plans for an all-English fight between Anthony Joshua and Fury will be delayed.

Sports Illustrated reported that the rematch would take place by the end of July.

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'

Putin continues to reject Trump's peace plan

'We won't accept Ukraine ceasefire while Zelenskyy remains in power,' Russia warns

Virginia Giuffre

Family of Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre hit out at Australian cops over doubts she has 'days to live'

Luigi Mangione is facing the death penalty for the shooting of United healthcare CEO Brian Thompson

US prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Luigi Mangione in healthcare boss murder case

Emergency services at the scene after an explosion at a building thought to be a gas leak, in Via Pio Foà and Via Vitellia, in Rome, Sunday, March 23, 2025.

Scottish tourist dies after sustaining severe burns in Rome gas explosion that destroyed three-storey hotel

Five Israelis have been cleared after the court ruled the British woman's testimony was not credible

Five tourists accused of gang raping British woman in Ayia Napa hotel cleared after charges dropped

An areal view of the volcanic eruption near the town of Grindavik, on the Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland

Volcanic eruption forces evacuations in Iceland

Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking victim who claimed Prince Andrew sexually abused her given 'four days to live' by doctors

Jeffrey Epstein victim and Prince Andrew accuser issues fresh statement after being given 'four days to live'

President of the far-right Rassemblement National (RN) parliamentary group Marine Le Pen

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen vows to fight election ban after embezzlement conviction

President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth

White House says 'Signal chat case is closed' insisting issue has been 'dealt with'

A Taliban security personnel stands guard.

Taliban ask Russia to lift ban on terrorist organisation

Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer (L) shakes hands with Finland's President Alexander Stubb

'The UK is back': Finnish president praises Starmer's leadership announcing two nations are 'tied hip-to-hip on Nato'

Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking victim who claimed Prince Andrew sexually abused her given 'four days to live' by doctors

Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking victim who claimed Prince Andrew sexually abused her given 'four days to live'