Wuhan evacuee says he was 'out of the pot, into fire' and 'wishes he stayed in China'

3 May 2020, 13:28

Matt Raw says he wishes he stayed in China
Matt Raw says he wishes he stayed in China. Picture: PA

By Kate Buck

A Wuhan evacuee who was among the first to be quarantined in the UK has said "nothing" was done when the first cases of coronavirus were confirmed.

Matt Raw, 38, was shut inside Arrowe Park Hospital in Wirral for two weeks, and triumphantly declared "I'm free" when he was allowed out on 13 February.

He was repatriated from China at the end of January, but now says those who came back went "out of the pot, into the fire".

He said: "We should never have left China.

"We made the decision to come back over here because there was a killer virus running loose around Wuhan.

"At the time coronavirus was not in England - I think the first case was while we were in quarantine in Arrowe Park, and I thought 'They have seen what happened in China, they will jump on this straight away'.

"They did nothing."

READ MORE: Boris Johnson reveals 'contingency plans' were made when he was in hospital

READ MORE: Four in five Britons against easing lockdown restrictions

Matt and his wife Ying landed back in the UK on January 31, but Matt says "nothing" was done when the first coronavirus cases were reported
Matt and his wife Ying landed back in the UK on January 31, but Matt says "nothing" was done when the first coronavirus cases were reported. Picture: PA

Mr Raw, who arrived back in Britain on January 31 with his wife, Ying, 38, and his 75-year-old mother, Hazel, who has dementia, said that for friends and family in Wuhan things are starting to get back to normal.

He said: "They're out of lockdown, it looks like they've got control of the situation.

"Ying's brother has his own business and, as far as I understand, they are all back at work now, but they're still being sensible, taking precautions and not going out unnecessarily."

Mr Raw abandoned his Jeep at Wuhan airport before boarding the repatriation flight, but said his brother-in-law had now been able to collect the vehicle.

Brits in Wuhan were repatriated when cases began to explode in China
Brits in Wuhan were repatriated when cases began to explode in China. Picture: PA

He said he believed China had done "everything right" and acted more quickly and with greater force than the UK to restrict the spread of the virus.

Now, he is not planning to return to the country until there is a vaccine for Covid-19 making it safe for his mother to travel.

He said his wife had applied for a visa to stay in the UK but delays with the process mean they are not sure if she will need to return to China next month.

Mr Raw said he has been filming YouTube videos, playing the piano and spending time in the garden of his home in Knutsford, Cheshire, to occupy himself during lockdown.

He also praised his neighbours, who, he said, have been supporting each other.

"That's really what makes it all very, very bearable indeed," he said.

"We know what we've got to do now, we need to stay inside and it's not going to be forever.

"I would rather be in quarantine over here than in China, but I think, very definitely, that coming back here was a mistake.

"We've made our bed so we just have to put on a happy face and lie in it now."

Listen & subscribe: Global Player | Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'

Foreign Secretary David Lammy

David Lammy to urge Nato allies to increase defence spending in bid to make alliance 'stronger, fairer and more lethal'

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen

EU threatens further countermeasures against US tariffs after 'major blow to world economy'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Police said two people died on Palliser Road, Roseneath.

British couple found dead at home in New Zealand - just months after moving to 'begin new chapter'

Virginia Giuffre warned it was a "very bad situation" after she claimed a school bus ploughed into her car

Virginia Giuffre was charged with breaching restraining order days before crash that 'left her with days to live'

Putin continues to reject Trump's peace plan

'We won't accept Ukraine ceasefire while Zelenskyy remains in power,' Russia warns

Virginia Giuffre

Family of Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre hit out at Australian cops over doubts she has 'days to live'

Luigi Mangione is facing the death penalty for the shooting of United healthcare CEO Brian Thompson

US prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Luigi Mangione in healthcare boss murder case

Emergency services at the scene after an explosion at a building thought to be a gas leak, in Via Pio Foà and Via Vitellia, in Rome, Sunday, March 23, 2025.

Scottish tourist dies after sustaining severe burns in Rome gas explosion that destroyed three-storey hotel

Five Israelis have been cleared after the court ruled the British woman's testimony was not credible

Five tourists accused of gang raping British woman in Ayia Napa hotel cleared after charges dropped

An areal view of the volcanic eruption near the town of Grindavik, on the Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland

Volcanic eruption forces evacuations in Iceland

Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking victim who claimed Prince Andrew sexually abused her given 'four days to live' by doctors

Jeffrey Epstein victim and Prince Andrew accuser issues fresh statement after being given 'four days to live'

President of the far-right Rassemblement National (RN) parliamentary group Marine Le Pen

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen vows to fight election ban after embezzlement conviction

President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth

White House says 'Signal chat case is closed' insisting issue has been 'dealt with'